The Northern Territory Climate Change Policy, a ten-year plan released in December 2009, ensures the Territory plays a role in national and international efforts to mitigate and adapt to climate change, overseen by the Department of Lands, Planning and the Environment.
- Reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 60% by 2050, below 2007 levels.
- 20% of power to be generated from renewable sources by 2020.
- $34 million investment in climate change mitigation and adaptation strategies.
- Replace diesel as the primary power source in remote towns and communities by 2020.
- Establish a carbon offset industry by 2020 and reduce emissions from Savanna burning by 500,000 tonnes per year in 2030.
- Grow the green economy: 10,000 Territorians with green skills training by 2020.