CMI Advocacy Positions
CMI is an independent, member-based institute accelerating the transition to net zero emissions.
Our vision is a prosperous negative emissions, nature positive world.
Our mission is to accelerate the use of market-based solutions and support best practice in decarbonisation to limit warming to 1.5C.
In 2023, CMI approved its 2025 Accelerating Climate Action Strategy.
CMI develops independent, non-partisan and evidence-based policy positions through engagement with its members including direct conversations, CMI hosted forums, an annual survey as well as through its governance, working group and taskforce structures.
CMI works constructively with governments at all levels while also making clear its policy priorities.
Our policies are reviewed annually and approved by the CMI Board. CMI is committed to independent, non-partisan and evidence-based advocacy on these and related positions.
CMI’s policy advocacy positions detail the following:
- Strengthen national emission reduction targets & better manage the transition to net-zero emissions
- Engage in international co-operation and carbon market development to ensure emissions reduction, climate finance and co-benefits
- Evolve Australia’s carbon markets to guide investment and opportunities in the transition
- Focus technology support on decarbonisation and drawdown/sequestration
- Ensure rigorous governance, integrity and disclosure in carbon crediting as well as on climate and nature risks