CMI Advocacy Positions
CMI is the independent industry association for business leading the transition to a net zero emissions economy, with a 2050 vision of a prosperous, climate resilient, net-zero emissions world. Our mission is to help business manage risks and capitalise on opportunities in the transition to a net-zero emissions economy.
CMI develops independent, non-partisan and evidence-based policy positions through engagement with its members including direct conversations, CMI hosted forums, an annual survey as well as through its governance, working group and taskforce structures.
In 2019, CMI approved its 2020 Transition to Zero Strategy which has since guided its activities. In 2022 CMI will be undertaking a review of this strategy.
CMI works constructively with governments at all levels while also making clear its policy priorities. Our policies are reviewed annually with this update approved by the Board on 5 December 2021. CMI is committed to independent, non-partisan and evidence-based advocacy on these and related positions.
CMI’s policy advocacy positions detail the following:
- Strengthen national emission reduction targets & better manage the transition to net-zero emissions
- Engage in international co-operation and carbon market development to ensure emissions reduction, climate finance and co-benefits
- Evolve Australia’s carbon markets to guide investment and opportunities in the transition
- Focus technology support on decarbonisation and drawdown/sequestration
- Ensure rigorous governance, integrity and disclosure in carbon crediting as well as on climate and nature risks